Now we all know we should be moving more, the benefits of being active are endless; helping to reduce stress, weight loss and generally living a happier and healthier life. There aren’t many issues being physically active won’t help.
But let’s face it, you’re not alone if you feel that going for a run or the gym isn’t really your cup of tea! Or you feel low on time or motivation to do it. It doesn’t have to be an extra burden, so why not think about getting active where you spend most of your time… at work? So if you’re like us, then look no further as these are Active Cheshire’s top 10 tips for being more active in the workplace.
- Standing Desks – Standing desks are a really simple way to increase your activity levels, and are much better for your back than sitting down. Buying a standing desk can be a worthwhile purchase for the office, as you can even use a cabinet that is large enough and at the right height.
- Walking Meetings – Need to have a meeting at work? Why not take a stroll when doing so. The rule of thumb is that during a 10 minute walk you will do around 1000 steps! Imagine that, getting fresh air, being productive and burning off that muffin from lunch. Being active also inspires creativity so if you’re stuck on a problem, just going for a walk could be the answer. It will also help with those people who like to waffle on…. we all know who they are!
- Table Tennis – For under £10 you can get a clip-on table tennis net and bats. This is a great way to turn a desk or table into a place of fun for 5 minutes. You can even set up a tournament to see who the ping pong office champion will be. Step aside Sandra, there’s a new big fish in town.
- Standing phone calls – As well as all the benefits it gives you anyway, standing whilst on the phone is a great sales trick when on the phone with clients to project more energy during the call. Smashing targets and burning calories… winning!
- Using the stairs instead of the lift – Where possible using the stairs is an easy way to make a quick difference. 10 minutes of climbing the stairs (which is easily achievable in a day!) can burn a whopping 102 calories! Do that for a full week and you’ve earned yourself an extra chocolate bar on the weekend.
- Parking further away – When heading to the office or out for a meeting, why not park further away from the building. This means you have to take those extra few steps to the door. Especially great for the sunny days or when it’s not raining.
- Walk to speak to your colleagues -Instead of emailing or calling your colleague from inside the same building, go and speak to them. It’s a good way of seeing more of the office space you work in and a quicker way to get an answer from them!
- Sit on an exercise ball – Replacing your chair with an exercise ball has amazing benefits! It keeps your energy up, great for your core strength and helping to improve your overall posture.
- Talk to an expert – How about talking to an expert on the matter? Shameless plug in 3, 2, 1…. Active Cheshire Physical Activity Advisors offer free diagnostics to workplaces in the Cheshire and Warrington region coming up with creative solutions for how employers and employees alike can both benefit from their staff being happier and healthier.
- Make it fun – Last but not least, make it fun! If you do not make it fun, it will never happen. No one wants to embed boring habits. Think about creative ways to make it fun or incentivise doing so, and you’ll thank yourself later.
So there they are, our top 10 tips for being more active in your workplace. If you need help in doing so our Physical Activity Advisors offer free (actually free!) bespoke plans about how you can take the pledge and embed physical activity into your workplace.