Advice for Children and Young People
How to stay safe and have fun in Sport
What you should do?
- Play your best at all times
- Always ensure you play fairly by the rules.
- Use positive language at all times
- Never bully others
- Always treat others in the way in which you would like to be treated
- Understand that you should do what your coach asks you to, as long as you feel comfortable to do so and it is within the rules of the game
- Always be on lime and be prepared for cornpetitions, events and coaching sessions
- Never argue with an official. If you disagree, have your captain, coach or manager approach the official during a break or after the competition.
- Control your temper. Verbal and physical abuse is not acceptable in life and in sport.
- Work equally hard for yourself and/or your team. Your team’s performance will benefit and so will you.
- Support your coach, manager, team-mates and opponents. Without them, there would be no competition.
- Participate for your own enjoyment and benefit, not just to please your parents and coaches.
- Respect all of your fellow participants.
- Behave responsibly. Discriminatory, offensive and violent behaviour towards any individual is unacceptable and will be acted upon.
- Do not leave the playing/training venue unless the coach or manager is aware.
- Always take time to thank all those who help you take part in your chosen sport/activity
What your Coach should do?
The main role of your coach is to make sure that you learn the sport solely and that you are enjoying yourself at the same time.
Your coach should:
- Recognise and treat you as an individual and not show favouritism to anyone
- Not bully you into doing things, but should encourage you
- If they need to have physical contact with you in order lo show you a technique, explain to you why this is necessary. If you are uncomfortable with physical contact you should say no and your coach should respect this
- Have all the necessary coaching, first aid and child protection qualifications
- Ensure the correct equipment is available and being used
- Make sure that you are having lots of fun and enjoying yourself